Wednesday, January 11, 2012

My Mom


My mom drives me nuts. She’s totally annoying and totally awkward. I turn into a 13 year old girl around her and am completely embarrassed by everything she does. I see things in me that remind me of her and it scares the crap out of me. Turning into her is one of my few legitimate fears.

My brother understands. He is the only person on this earth who is allowed to agree with me. It’s one of the reasons he and I are so close. No one else was raised by her. If I’m frustrated and on the verge of tears, no one else can give me a sideways look and raise his eyebrows and make me laugh about her. No one else gets my impressions of her.


I know I am really lucky to have the friends in my life that I do. I am really lucky to have the mentors that I do. I am really lucky to be growing into a person that I am proud of. But I would have nothing if I didn’t have the mom that I do.


She says the wrong things when I’m upset. Her hair is always a mess. She makes little comments about my weight. She forgives me when I say the wrong things. She tells me how beautiful I am (and the hair I inherited from her). She radiates with smiles when I walk into the room.


My mom is amazing and believes in me like no one else. There have been decisions I’ve made that only she has understood and supported. I can talk to her about anything and know I will always receive love in return. I see a lot of her in me (and my brother loves pointing this out). But she’s my mom, and I love her, and if I’m going to turn out like anyone… well, I guess I'm glad it's her.


Oh, and she laughs at my impressions of her.


No comments:

Post a Comment